One portfolio dilemma solution

Subject: One portfolio dilemma solution
From: Linda Ulrich <lvu -at- ELSI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 12:43:15 LCL

I was also in the position of looking for a job with a portfolio full
of documents that I couldn't hand out. I could let interviewers look
at the manuals (and not *too* closely if they were in a related
field), but I couldn't send them out or leave copies anywhere. Quite
the quandry when an interviewer asked me to send a sample.

What I wound up doing was making something up -- in my case, a 6 page
document called "Building a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich". I
worked very hard on it, and even had a friend run a test. (It was
unexpectedly difficult to figure out the best way to show how to flip
one piece of bread onto the other...) Now I have a good, non-sensitive
piece of writing out of which potential employers also get a chuckle.
(Would you actually want to work for someone who didn't find it at
least a *little* amusing?)

That's my suggestion, though I'd appreciate it if folks in northern CA
chose a different subject ("How to Eat an Oreo(R)", etc.). :)

--Linda