Guideline #1542

Subject: Guideline #1542
From: Rod Franklin <franklir -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 13:48:48 MDT

I just got a call from an Atlanta recruiter who tells me Federal
Guideline #1542 will essesentially eliminate my tax obligation if I
move there on a contract. Not being familiar with this, I've decided
to post a question for those of you who are.

He said that as long as I stay at 40 hours per week or less, $19.60 of
each hour at $24 per hour would be considered nontaxable per diem. The
rest is taxable pay. At this rate, I'd be off the hook on $784 worth
of gross pay per week and $40,768 annually!

Is this for real? I work a government contract now and am just
starting to learning the ropes about independent work.

Rod Franklin

rfrankl -at- nrel -dot- gov