Re: Anonymous Postings/ Restricting Acce

Subject: Re: Anonymous Postings/ Restricting Acce
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 18:15:50 -0600

There are several good reasons to allow anonymous
posting: there are valid questions one might ask that
involve embarrassing information.
(E.G. "You mean the MegaCorp tech writers have to ask
whether I is before E after C?" or "Why is a writer from
the WeSaySo Thermo Nuclear Division asking that
particular question about product safety ethics?")
There are discussions of contract terms and job hunting
that some people can't openly participate in, for fear of
damaging current negotiations or employer relations.
Some people may have something worthwhile to add
to a discussion, but can't do so openly because of who
they are.

In practice, most anonymous posting is just junk.

I'd like to see more acceptance of anonymous posting
as a tool for communication, and less anonymous
posting as an exercise in stupidity. But that's just