Re[2]: telecommuting -- social costs ?

Subject: Re[2]: telecommuting -- social costs ?
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:20:59 EST

Robert Giovanni (rgcolon -at- mailbox -dot- syr -dot- edu) wrote about the social costs of
telecommuting:

> The social cost is greater than we care to think about.
> This has been an era of continuous change, and we have
> not noticed the things we have lost along the way.
> We have changed our working environment to a less
> social environment, which involves less personal
> activities among the co-workers. It is the lillte
> things in life that change things the most.

I guess I don't see this as such a bad thing. I don't have anything against my
co-workers, but they're not necessarily the people I want to have meaningful
contact with. I always think of telecommuting of giving me the advantage of
more time for communication around home--with children, spouse, or neighbors.
This is where I really want community--not at work.