Gentlepersons, set your modems!

Subject: Gentlepersons, set your modems!
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:40:01 LCL

Hello Richard,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Richard Mateosian an All am 08.09.95

RM> When I learned this stuff, back in the 1960s, most folks used
RM> "baud" and
RM> "bits per second" interchangeably. I guess that's not true
RM> anymore.

"Baud" means "steps per second" and "bits per second" means just that. As long
as you transmit a single bit per step, both are the same.

The phone line has a limited bandwidth and therefor can only transmit a
limited number of steps per second. If you want faster modems, you are to
transmit several bits per step. You could do that by changing the pitch and
the aplitude for every step. If you use one of four pitches and one of two
amplitude values, you can transmit three bits per step.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander