Bogus Resume Requirements

Subject: Bogus Resume Requirements
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:54:00 PDT

Someone writes:

>GPA is another excellent predictor. It predicts that the applicant will find
>out what's required and strive to supply it.

Of course, none of the research on highly successful people bears this out
(in fact, most research on very high performers--as measured by awards,
sales, elections, promotions etc.--finds them to be above average on most
tests ... but few score at the extremes). But then, it helps justify a
pre-existing bias so I suppose it's useful to whoever falls for it.

We haven't had the employment testing war lately--but I know I'd *much*
rather deal with a company that attempted to find out something about how I
actually approached problems *today* than one who gave a rip about what I
did at age 17.

(I was initially rejected at my University because of my high school GPA. I
had to go to the campus and convince the admissions people that I was older
and more mature than I was at 16 (I had intervening military service). When
I graduated with honors in a Distinguished Scholars Program in Engineering I
didn't have time to look up the person who initially rejected my application
and ask about the predictive value of GPA.)

John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.