FW: Re[2]: Computer Phobias -- Overcome!

Subject: FW: Re[2]: Computer Phobias -- Overcome!
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 17:49:00 -0500

----------
From: Price, Becca
To: Delaney, Misti
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Computer Phobias -- Overcome!
Date: Thursday, September 14, 1995 10:13AM

(misti: please fwd this to the list)

in the job-hunting book "what color's your parachute" there's lots and lots
of info on ways moms returnign to the job force can present their experience
from being a mom as applying to the business world.

one time, I and a beginning writer (who was a returning to the work force
mom) went to an interview with a Honcho at Ford to get info. for something
we were writing. He was reluctant to give us the info we wanted, but kept
trying to give us info *he* wanted us to have that was not useful for our
assignment. After about 1.5 hrs of "yes... "and the restating our original
question for the millionth time, we did finally get what we needed. After,
Linda remarked to me that she had no idea that dealing with executives was
so similar to dealing with 2yos. now that I've been through the 2s with two
of my own, I can say that the experience generalizes both ways... I applied
what I learned from dealing with recalcetrant info. sources to working with
my kids, and it works a treat.

-b

----------
From: Delaney, Misti
To: Price, Becca
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 1995 3:55PM

----------
From: powen
To: internet!attmail!ucs01!ncr02!mdelaney (Delaney, Misti)
Subject: Re[2]: Computer Phobias -- Overcome!
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 1995 2:51PM

Misti -

You posted on TECHWR-L:

"Why? Well, Mother has raised six children, and with tots she has
endless patience. It suddenly dawned on her that in some ways a
computer was just a mechanical toddler. It has a very limited
vocabulary and will do exactly what you tell it to do -- not what you
meant it to. Voila! She was off and running, and now her home
computer (an 8086) is her little buddy. She even supplements Father's
retirement income doing newsletters for various churches and community
groups in the afternoon."

Great analogy, and kudos to your mom. Mothers face one of the most
complex and challenging tasks on the planet. I think a lot of
strategies mothers have to learn to raise children can be applied
elsewhere, and should be. Creative moms are usually creative workers -
they sometimes just need that pointed out to them.

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, VA
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com, or powen -at- lmi -dot- org