Re: Bogus Requirements (2)

Subject: Re: Bogus Requirements (2)
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 08:11:16 MDT

Michael adds:

>I might add that both are a good measure of "g", something every company would
>LOVE to know about prospective employees but are not allowed to ask or test
>for.

In addition, the person who responded made no mention of the minimum
requirement. If they're really only "rounding out" their knowledge of
applicants, they wouldn't have such a stringent minimum requirement. Also,
the representative made note that nearly all applicants have GRE scores.
I don't sense that this is a reasonable claim since the majority of college
graduates have no intention of pursuing a graduate education, and even if they
do, they often have other testing requirements (MCAT, MAT, and sundry other
catchy acronyms). So, overall, the explanation simply doesn't ring true.

I suspect that someone handling the hiring for this position was simply
grasping at straws to ensure that he or she hired a qualified technical
writer. Unfortunately, the requirements probably exclude most otherwise
well-qualified candidates.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce