Re: *Data* question

Subject: Re: *Data* question
From: "<Pam Owen>" <powen -at- MAIL2 -dot- LMI -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 14:09:35 EST

I just got back from the beach, so I'm playing catch-up here.

Deborah asks:

"Which phrase do y*all prefer? Are any grammatically incorrect?

1) This data helps the analyst.
2) These data help the analyst.
3) The data helps the analyst.
4) The data help the analyst."

The word "data" is the plural of "datum," so the verb would be "help." As
to whether to say "these data" or "the data," that would depend on whether
you need to identify which data you are talking about. Either is correct,
depending on the context. That's my two bits.

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, VA
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com, or powen -at- lmi -dot- org