Re: Gentlepersons, set your modems!

Subject: Re: Gentlepersons, set your modems!
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:34:50 PDT

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995 14:06:22 -0400 you wrote:

>>"Baud" refers to the frequency of signal with which modems talk to each other.
>> All high-speed modems communicate at 4800 baud. Higher BPS (bits per second)
>>rates are achieved through modulation and phase-shifting of that signal.

>When I learned this stuff, back in the 1960s, most folks used "baud" and
>"bits per second" interchangeably. I guess that's not true anymore.

The two WERE interchangeable, back then. No more, though. "Baud" on a
high-speed modem tops out at 4800.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.nextlevel.com/nlp/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446