Re: SGML, indexing courses

Subject: Re: SGML, indexing courses
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 09:20:45 EDT

Marsha Wolicki asks,

>> 4. Does anyone know anything about SGML courses given by Graphics
>> Communication Association, 100 Dangerfield Road, Alexandria, Va?
>> I am also interested in their courses on HTML and the Internet, and
>> introduction to Pinnacles.

GCA's courses are excellent. I know some of the instructors personally and they
are very good. Also, GCA was one of the driving forces behind the development
of the Standard and they are very careful about how it is taught. I have not
had experience with the other courses, but I know that GCA keeps a close eye on
the details.

As for Pinnacles, have you contacted the Pinnacles Secretariat for a copy of
the PCSI doc set? They are currently distributing it free of charge. Send email
to pcis -at- access -dot- digex -dot- com for instructions about how to get ahold of the
information. (There is a lot of it!)

>> 5. I am also interested in the tools and procedures I should use to
>> convert my FrameMaker documents to HTML and SGML.

Check with your Frame rep about FrameMaker+SGML. That is the next release of
their FM SGML product and from what I've heard, it is a big advance over
FrameBuilder. Alternatively, you might check with Exoterica about Omnimark.
Omnimark is a heavy-duty programming environment for SGML and many companies
use it to build MIF -> SGML conversion routines, us included.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]