Re: digest

Subject: Re: digest
From: Kevin Harper <kevinh -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 09:24:21 CDT

> From: "Mayberry, Louise" <LOUISEM -at- CRONUS -dot- AIINET -dot- COM>
> To try to keep informed and be of help when possible, I subscribed to the
> digest form of the techwriter list rather than receive mega messages on my
> system. So, if this reaches the list, please do not repeat the question
> someone asks on every response.

As someone who receives each post to the techwriter list as a separate
mail message, I disagree completely. To wit:

* I need context, because I delete a mail message once I've read it,
and responses generally begin showing up a half hour to a half day later,
depending on the nature of the question as well as the health of the
internet connections. (And I may not read the message in the first
place if my mailbox is overflowing or if the subject line
doesn't look too promising.)

* It takes me a lot less time to quote an author of a mail message than
to restate the question in my own words. Similarly, it takes me less
time to read a mail message if I can recognize a familiar passage
than if I have to read a longer-winded reply.

* It's just standard netiquette to quote the author. It helps prevent
twisting of words.

Kevin Harper
Tivoli Systems
kevinh -at- tivoli -dot- com