Re: *Data* question

Subject: Re: *Data* question
From: Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:38:13 -0700

>> Which phrase do y*all prefer? Are any grammatically incorrect?
>>
>> 1) This data helps the analyst.
>> 2) These data help the analyst.
>> 3) The data helps the analyst.
>> 4) The data help the analyst.
>>

> The last time this subject surfaced (has it been six
> months already???),

Yes, it's been about six months since I posted the following:

Common words commonly misused:

Singular Plural
-------- ------
criterion criteria
datum data
medium media
phenomenon phenomena
But
cockalorum cockalorums

> someone quoted a source (can't
> remember, getting old y'know) that said anyone who
> still used the plural verb with "data" was being
> presumptuous/pedantic . . . .

And anyone who uses virgules in this manner ought not to be
so critical. I still like 2) and 4).

lfc -at- sol -dot- chinalake -dot- navy -dot- mil