Re: marquee - jargon or tech term???

Subject: Re: marquee - jargon or tech term???
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 07:17:42 MST

Sue Gallagher asked about using the term "marquee" to describe
the little dashed box used to select objects. Specifically,
would the term be recognized by programmers (the target
audience).

I checked my Interleaf documentation; they call it a "selection
box." I've also seen it written as "drag a box around...."

I think if you want to use "marquee," go ahead. Explain it
the first time you use it and put it in the glossary if you
have one. It's my opinion that programmers (of which I'm one)
will quickly understand the concept. (Although, I may not be a
representative sample, since I have at least as much experience
with drawing programs (CorelDraw) and desktop publishing
software.)

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=