FW: Re. Computer phobia

Subject: FW: Re. Computer phobia
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 14:16:00 -0500

----------
From: Price, Becca
Subject: RE: Re. Computer phobia
Date: Tuesday, August 29, 1995 10:41AM

My problem is that my computer does exactly what I tell it to do, not what I
want it to do - not unlike my 4yo.

I have a friend once who spent time reciting the prices for sales of junk
steel to his recalcitrant car - didn't do any good until he realized that it
was a German model. he started quoting the prices in German, and the car
started working like a champ.

-becca
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: internet!VM1.ucc.okstate.edu!TECHWR-L (Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re. Computer phobia
Date: Sunday, August 27, 1995 6:06PM

<snip> 2. "What if it doesn't want to do what I want it to?" Turn it
off. I
once earned someone's undying gratitude by resolving an intractable
problem with a photocopier we had nicknamed "the antiChrist" because
of its attitude towards anyone with a tight deadline. I stepped in,
turned off the copier, and rebooted it, and provided the quotable
quote "Don't forget, it may be smarter than we are, but we can always
turn it off." (Note: A cup of coffee, waved near the beast's
vulnerable electronics with a muttered threat, also guaranteed the
problems would disappear. Talk about yer ghosts in the machine!)