Re: Grammar, language change, & phobia

Subject: Re: Grammar, language change, & phobia
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:19:57 PST

Margaret Knos writes:

> Several people have written that use of "displays" as a verb
> is now acceptable in computer documentation. I submit that
> there are a couple of problems with jumping on that bandwagon:
> In the phrase
> "The framis displays"
> on first reading the sentence seems incomplete (the framis displays
> what?). Only then comes the realization that the word is being used
> in the newer sense as an intransitive verb. You've already distracted
> the reader from content for a moment. Further, the standard meaning
> (as a mating display) is also there to distract. The fix is simple.
> We don't *need* to mangle the language to communicate clearly. Why
> not use
> "The framis is displayed" OR
> "The command {or action] displays the framis"
<snip>

The first option she writes is how I do it here: "To <DoThis>,
choose <Option>. The <DialogBox> is displayed. This dialog box..."
I've never liked saying appears for some reason (I think displays is
less "magical" than appears... <grin>).

I also agree that saying "The <DialogBox> displays." is an incomplete
sentence. I always want to say "The <DialogBox> displays *what?*"
Colors? A musical score? A cartoon? <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com