Re: Grammar Question

Subject: Re: Grammar Question
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 08:08:53 MDT

J.P writes:

> Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't "displays", as used in the
>above sentence, the plural of the noun, display (display...-n. 2. Anything
>that is exhibited or displayed. -- American Heritage Dictionary.)?

It's being used as an intransitive verb (synonymous with "appears"). Check
the online version of AHD (perhaps the hardcopy has it, too). It has the
following definition:

--intr. 1. computer science. To provide information or graphics on a
screen: [e.g.] a personal computer that displays and prints.

The question this person had was whether this usage ("display" as an
intransitive verb) was acceptable. The AHD suggests that it is standard in
computer environments. I don't like to use it this way because it doesn't
jibe with my intuitive understanding of the word "display" (one which includes
a subject <<displaying>> a direct object). I prefer using "appear" as the
intransitive verb in such environments. It avoids the kind of confusion you
expressed (mistaking the intransitive verb form for a plural noun).

>I suppose one would visit a paragraph designer window at a
>technical writing trade show.

Or in FrameMaker under the Format menu (press <CTRL>+<M>).... FrameMaker
has lots of designer windows (no doubt justifying its high cost ;-).

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce