Re: Tag markup going away?

Subject: Re: Tag markup going away?
From: David Mitchell <mitchell -at- SOLAR -dot- SKY -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 23:39:57 +0000

>> tag markup has had its day. It surely can not be long before someone
produces a WYSIWYG web editor. <Gary
>> Conroy>gazza -at- ITL -dot- NET

> Do you really think they'll come up with a viable alternative? What with the
multitude of platforms that access
> the web (PC, Mac, and Unix, along with many others), I don't know if there
*is* an alternative to tagging, which
> relies on the cross-platform ASCII and SGML formats.... Any opinions on this
one? <David
> Castro>techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com

Perhaps tagging and platform independent codes are here to stay. However,
editors that mask the manual tagging
are common. I think that any tagging language gets in the way of writing. When
I work in a markup language
(usually IPF) I try to do my writing at one time and my tagging at another.
Otherwise, I end up saying to myself,
"Oh, I know the tag is this, but what is the syntax?" Then I look up the syntax
and my train of thought is
interrupted.

This contrasts when I work in WYSIWYG editors. When I write Windows Help, as
opposed to IPF, I work in Microsoft
Word. I find the page description language of RTF to be more intuitive and
fitting with my writing. That is, I
can format a paragraph as I write it without breaking my thought process.

This is all, of couse, highly subjective. In a markup language, the closest to
WYSIWYG is
what-you-see-is-what-you-could-get. I still find this "one possible output"
mode to be more intuitive, if not as
accurate as straight markup codes.

-------
David Mitchell (mitchell -at- sky -dot- net) David's Web Spot
www.sky.net/~mitchell/index.html