Re: [QUERY] Familiar with ANSI/IEEE standards?

Subject: Re: [QUERY] Familiar with ANSI/IEEE standards?
From: Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 09:10:44 -0700

Josee Sevigny provides the following:

> Following an earlier post about ANSI standards for cautions and
> warnings, I looked on the web to find reference about software
> related documents: soft. requirements specs, QA plans, CM plans, etc.
> They seem to be interesting.
> (http://www.itsi.disa.mil:5580/T2034)

> They state the purpose and content of the documents but what I'd
> like to know is if any of you are familiar with them, if they're
> worthwhile.

I can't claim familiarity with these ANSI/IEEE standards yet, but I think they
are worthwhile if only because they are likely to become the standards that the
government uses in a couple of years. As Bev Parks pointed out some time ago,
the current DOD standard for software documentation, MIL-STD-498, was issued
only as a temporary replacement for the much maligned DOD-STD-2167A. As I
understand it, MIL-STD-498 is meant to disappear in a couple of years and be
replaced by the ANSI/IEEE standards. Comments, Bev?

The URL that Josee provided leads to short descriptions of these standards.
The descriptions provide no further links, but they all state the following:

For more information about this standard contact:

ANSI
11 W 42nd Street
13th Floor
New York, NY 10036

Tel (212) 642-4900
Fax (212) 302-1286 (Sales)
Fax (212) 398-0023

lfc -at- sol -dot- chinalake -dot- navy -dot- mil