Summary of non-standard page size responses and another ?

Subject: Summary of non-standard page size responses and another ?
From: "Kathleen T. Alt" <Kathleen_Alt_at_SRA-ROCKVILLE -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SRA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 17:04:59 EST

Thanks to all who provided a response to my question about
non-standard page sizes. The information was invaluable. The
following is a summary of the responses that I received. Sorry I did
not provide a summary earlier, but I have been crunching towards a
deadline. BTW, I presented a template including the non-standard page
size to the client yesterday and they were THRILLED. Thanks again for
all the input.

1. While no standard exists, the most common non-standard page size is
7 inch by 9 inch. However, Microsoft uses a 7-3/8 inch by 9 inch page
size.

2. Everyone suggested setting the page size in the software. Do not
change the printer drivers. If your software does not let you change
the page size without modifying the printer drivers, adjust the page
size by changing the margins.

3. Everyone suggested talking with the print vendor early on in the
development process. Some print vendors require crop marks for
non-standard pages. The crop marks tell the print vendor where to cut
the page. Other print vendors have machines that automatically
measure the page and determine where to cut. Some print vendors
require post script files. It is imperative that you talk to the
print vendor up front.

Note: Luckily my print vendor does not require crop marks. I was
unable to easily add crop marks in my WordPerfect 6.0 document.

4. Determine the page size that the printer vendor uses. Some print
vendors use large sheets of paper. For example, 36 inches by 48
inches. The print vendor will print 16 pages on one of these large
sheets and then trim the pages to the correct size. You want to make
sure that you minimize wasted paper. The print vendor can help you
determine the page size that will maximize paper usage.

Another question:

Does anyone know of any templates or references for quick reference
guide formats? While my client was very pleased with the 7 by 9 inch
user's guide template, they were not very impressed with my quick
reference guide template. I used a landscape 8.5 by 11 page that I
folded in thirds. The client was concerned that users would not know
the page order of the quick reference guide. In other words, users
might have trouble flipping thought the guide in the correct order.

Any advice? You can email me directly and I will gladly summarize for
the list.

Thanks again,
Kathleen Alt
kathleen_alt -at- sra -dot- com