new responsibilities and skills

Subject: new responsibilities and skills
From: Dickie Selfe <rselfe -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 15:40:30 -0600

I'm convinced that tech. communicators are now being asked to do more
(probably always have been) than generate communicative media. More and
more often our graduates come or write back saying that they are helping
set up communication systems, choosing hard/software, teaching others how
to use the communication technologies (networked, page layout, graphics,
....). A companion observation is that there are few curricular
opportunities for new professionals to learn these skills.

My question for this list is

How many of you have some responsibility for support--planning (purchasing,
installing, ...), policy making (access, security, etiquette), or
instruction-- when it comes to communication technologies?

I'm interested in making a case for research into how these skills might be
integrated into STC programs. I'd be collecting and collating this info.
on and off the list and will repost my compilation to the list.

Dickie Selfe <rselfe -at- mtu -dot- edu>

(OO) Director of
CCCCCCC LLLL iiii Center for Computer-Assisted Language Instruction
CCCC ccccc LLLL iiii 113 Walker Arts and Humanities Center
CCCC cc LLLL iiii Michigan Technological University
CCCC ccccc LLLL iiii Houghton, MI 49931 906-487-3225
CCCCCCCCC LLLLLLLLL
CCCCCCC LLLLLLLLL "If it's not virtual, it's not real."
-- Daniel F. Kamm