Re: Would you be angry?

Subject: Re: Would you be angry?
From: Linda Anderson <lindaa -at- MAILHOST -dot- EMTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:59:01 -0700

In part I agree with Paul, particularly when he says you should remain calm and
business-like at the office. It truly accomplishes nothing to vent to your
co-workers or your boss. Jerks never see themselves that way. It's always the
other guy who's got the problem. However, knowing that isn't much help. And it's
damn near impossible to maintain a professional demeanor when you've been made
to feel lower than an amoeba, although it will be best for you in the long run
if you can do it. Some of your highest recommendations will come from those who
admire your ability to conduct yourself professionally in spite of what was
done.

My last boss made it a habit to set me up and then stab me in the back at every
turn, then tell me that I wasn't worth more than x amount in raise because
"they" wouldn't allow him to give me more - even though everyone around me was
getting far more in raises than I was. (I should probably tell you that I was
this man's right hand in the department. I ran it when he was on LOA in
addition to maintaining my already overwhelming workload. When I quit, he
give my work to THREE people!)

Paul wrote:
> In order to keep your workload at bay and still feel like you're making
> progress, you might want to schedule yourself an hour a day or some such to
> work on some self-improvement or job-search activity, and just work that
> much harder the rest of the time. That way, you'll progress toward your
> goal without it being so obvious that you're looking for a way out.

I did as Paul suggests. Worked a lot of extra hours to allow me to take time to
come up with a real killer resume, then start calling all the head-hunters and
other connections I've made over the years. I was out of there within two months
and into a MUCH nicer environment, with a LOT better pay - nearly 6k more a
year!

Paul wrote:
> Your VP will get his when he finds out that, due to the learning curve of
> your replacement, it will take 2 people to do your job, at least for the
> first several months.

Hear! Hear! I had such a laugh at my former manager's expense when I found out
what he had to go through to replace me! And the best part was that it caused
all the rest of management to notice that he was not doing his job efficiently.
He's had nothing but grief from them since and has come very close to being
fired. (I think the only reason he hasn't been is that it's a small company and
he's been there almost since it was formed. His wife has MS and there's a lot
of sympathy.) The flack he's taken has caused him to tone his methods down with
the rest of the department though.

Just remember, he who laughs last, laughs best.

Linda Anderson
lindaa -at- emtek -dot- com