Floppy disk, diskette or other

Subject: Floppy disk, diskette or other
From: Solveig Haugland <Solveig_Haugland -dot- GPS -at- GPS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:05:38 EDT

Marsha Wolicki writes:

>>Do you call the 3 1/4" removable thing a floppy disk?
" " " " floppy diskette?
" " " " hard disk or diskette?
" " " " other?<<

We refer to it as a diskette; we do this partly because we used to supply our
product both on 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch media. One flopped around a bit, one
didn't, so to avoid confusion, I believe, we didn't call them floppy disks. The
thing in the computer's CPU, of course, we call a hard disk (as opposed to a
drive or hard drive).

Solveig Haugland
shauglan -at- gps -dot- com