Re. How to define what's off topic

Subject: Re. How to define what's off topic
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:28:17 LCL

Michael Priestley hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that you
can get many answers elsewhere. To make this more explicit, how about
using the following filter: If there's a specific mailing list (or
other non-internet source) that will answer your question, use it
instead. (No, this doesn't solve all problems, but it's a good
starting point.) Here's a practical example:

How do I use PageMaker to produce booklets? Ask the PageMaker list,
Aldus/Adobe technical support, or your local printshop.

Have any of you techwhirlers used PageMaker to produce booklets? Ask
away... that's writing, not a "how do I do it" question.

If I want to market a booklet produced in PageMaker, how would I do
this? Ask the marketing list, contact a relevent trade association,
send Jeff Slaton e-mail, etc. <grin>

You'll note that requests for information should always be relevent to
this list: as I've noted before, the best thing about the Internet is
the people. If you don't think it'll interest the list, ask for a
private reply; if you get lots of responses, summarize to the list. Is
this a step in the right direction?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.