Which do you think is better...

Subject: Which do you think is better...
From: Dan Martillotti <danm -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 13:40:53 CDT

I'm looking for some wisdom from the collective consciousness that is TECHWR-L.
In our user's
guides, we include several screen captures in our procedures to help provide
context to the
user. We currently use the following convention:

Select the Edit Manager Properties... option from the Edit menu

--screen capture of the Edit menu with the Edit Manager Properties...
option---

to display the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog.

--screen capture of the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog--

We are convinced that the current convention of splitting the sentence around a
screen capture
will create a translation nightmare. We are considering two new conventions:

Convention 1

Select the Edit Manager Properties... option from the Edit menu.

--screen capture of the Edit menu with the Edit Manager Properties...
option---

This displays the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog.

--screen capture of the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog--

Convention 2

Select the Edit Manager Properties... option from the Edit menu.

--screen capture of the Edit menu with the Edit Manager Properties...
option---

The Edit Local Print Service Manager dialog is displayed.

--screen capture of the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog--

Which of the two proposed conventions do you prefer? Do you have another
suggestion? Please,
feel free to respond directly to me (danm -at- tivoli -dot- com). I'd be happy to post the
results, if
any of you are interested.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Set the tech writers loose...

Dan Martillotti ******************
* * *
Tivoli Systems * * * *
(512)502-4759 * * * ** **
danm -at- tivoli -dot- com * * * * * * *
* * * * *
Class of '90 *
***