Re: Acrobat and Compression

Subject: Re: Acrobat and Compression
From: Paul Gerle <paulg -at- VALPAK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 14:07:56 -0400

Chet Ensign writes:

Subject: Acrobat & Compression

I've got a heap o' forms on my hands. They are all craftily crafted in Word and
they push the size of the document up substantially. I'm going to turn this
document in an MS Viewer title, but I'd rather not include the forms as part of
the content. (In fact, it may not even be possible to do so. They may well have
legal purposes that demand that they reproduce exactly as shown on paper.)

Instead, I'm thinking that they would make perfect .PDF files. Just stick them
into the baggage section of the title and hyperlink them to a master list.
However, disk space is an issue here. Does anyone have any info on the size of
Acrobat files relative to the original document that produced them? Given that
these are basically complex tables with rules and subsections, they aren't
exactly small in the original doc. Will Acrobat compress them significantly?
Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chet,

Acrobat files will be smaller than the originals. Acrobat creates a 300
dpi image of the original file and encloses an ASCII-like file for any
text. I just ran an experiment with a 627 KB QuarkXPress document on a Mac
with embedded and linked graphics. The Acrobat version was 154 KB.

Hope this helps.

Paul Gerle, Manager
Technical Communications
Val-Pak DMS, Inc.