Xrays etc. -- Msg from Listowner

Subject: Xrays etc. -- Msg from Listowner
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- GALAXY -dot- GALSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 05:47:03 -0500

Gang,
I'm now tired of sending personal messages, so I'll send it to everyone
at once. This thread isn't appropriate for TECHWR-L. It has nothing in
the world to do with technical communication. Take it off-line now.
Posting policies are at the end of this message.
Thanks,
Eric

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
* Please note new E-Mail address! *
Eric J. Ray
ejray -at- galaxy -dot- galstar -dot- com

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, James Perkins wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Heilan Yvette Grimes wrote:
> > You didn't ask, but you should also know about film. The airline will swear
> > up and down that the x-rays do not harm film unless it is a high ASA. This
is

Gang,
Some of you (mostly recipients of my reminder notes
about off-topic postings) have argued for more
tolerance in "acceptable" topics. Many argue that they
are technical communicators and use, for example,
cc:Mail to do their work, therefore cc:Mail questions
should be appropriate. This is not the case.

technical communication. Other lists exist to provide
other forums. If you have a question about using
cc:Mail, the question should go to a cc:Mail list or a
general E-mail list, but not to TECHWR-L. You wouldn't
post a technical communication question to CCMAIL-L on
the rationale that "many technical communicators use
cc:Mail, therefore, the cc:Mail list is an appropriate
forum for tech comm issues." Likewise, don't do the
converse.

I make exceptions for DTP or word processing packages
because they are central to what we as technical
communicators do. E-mail packages and operating systems
come and go, and are more in the category of generic
office tools. Just as you wouldn't dream of asking
in your office, you shouldn't ask similar questions for
E-mail, operating systems, network software, or similar
topics. Obviously, asking about PREPARING DOCUMENTATION
on the above topics would be fine.

Original humor about technical communication is fine.
Never repost any "cute" stuff you found on the 'Net to
if it hasn't, it doesn't belong anyway. Newsgroup
rec.humor exists for that.

Don't post virus announcements or similar warnings.
Most turn out to be overblown or bogus, but even if
they aren't, TECHWR-L isn't the appropriate forum for
them either. Dedicated newsgroups provide acceptable
places to look for or post these announcements.

As a reminder:
Part 1:
* If it is about technical communication and of general
interest, post it.
* If it is about technical communication and original and
humorous, post it.

Part 2:
* If it doesn't relate to technical communication,
don't post it.
* If it is a personal message to a single subscriber,
don't post it. Even if mail to that person bounces.
* If you aren't sure, don't post it.
* If it relates to language use but not technical
communication, it probably isn't appropriate.
* If it continues an irrelevant thread in any way
(rebuttal, rebuke, rerun, revision, remark), don't
post it.
* If it is something cute, interesting, or funny that
you found on the Internet (e.g. Dr. Seuss on Tech
Writing, origin of spam), don't post it. I assure
you that most readers have seen it already.

Part 3:
* Direct all commentary about this message to my
address, not the list.

Thanks,
Eric
ejray -at- galaxy -dot- galstar -dot- com