Re: 50-ohm or 50 ohm ?

Subject: Re: 50-ohm or 50 ohm ?
From: "Dana L. Cadman" <cadman -at- GDLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:17:18 -0400

TechWriter (techwriter -at- aol -dot- com) wrote:
: [ ] Install a 50-[uom] resistor

: or

: [x] Install a 50 [uom] resistor.

: [uom] is our code for uppercase omega.

: If you spelled out the word "Ohm," it'd be different. Then I'd say "50-Ohm
: resistor. With the symbol, no.

: I never saw the hyphen in any electronics texts.

: Chuck Martin
: Technical Writer, FWB, Inc.
: twriter -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com TechWriter -at- aol -dot- com 74170 -dot- 2462 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Put it this way, would you say:

8-ounce glass
20-meter dash
300-pound gorilla

If not, then don't use 50-ohm resister. OTOH, why is it:

four-man bobsled
six-legged spider

I guess it's becuase the second group refers to a number of objects, where the
first group is a quantity of measure.
Those who are willing to sacrifice freedom in the name of security will
have neither. - Benjaman Franklin