Re: Improving the clarity

Subject: Re: Improving the clarity
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:20:27 -0700

Starr, Mike said:
> I always say:
> Select the File/Open menu item.

I don't understand sentences like this. They certainly aren't
transparent. I can't parse them. There is no File/Open menu! The first
time I saw something like this it took me a loooooooooong time before
I could figure out what it meant.

> From: Karen_Mayer.TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY
> is easier to read and follow than
> - To open a file, select Open from the File menu.

I agree that this is aggravating, too, because the order is wrong. But
at least the names and the hierarchy is transparent (if reversed).

I don't have any solution for this problem, except to suggest
something like 'Click on the File menu and select Open', which has its
own problems.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com