Re: 50-ohm or 50 ohm--prof. style guides

Subject: Re: 50-ohm or 50 ohm--prof. style guides
From: "Westra, Kayla L." <13718westr -at- KCPBLDG01 -dot- BV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 16:05:00 CDT

Conan says...
The 50-ohm discussion has been interesting, but I really don't see where the
hyphen is even remotely negotiable. Any standard Freshman Composition
textbook
(e.g., the venerable Harbrace) would clearly identify this example as a 14-
carat unit modifier, which MUST take a hyphen. Period. End of discussion.
--Conan the Grammarian
________________

Dear Conan--

Whenever you use the absolute, prepare for the rebuttal! <G>

<Former English teacher climbs up on soapbox>
Pick up ten comp. books, you can probably find at least three "right" ways
to do something. And, as we become more and more global, the odds of
finding a concensus on any editing issue becomes nearly (note qualifier)
impossible.
<jumping off box>

Which is why, when faced with a question like the hyphen issue, we pick the
majority usage and use it consistently. Works for us, and makes the
project manager happy.

Kayla Westra
Black & Veatch
westrakl -at- bv -dot- com

"Illa est causa mea, et ad eam haeso."
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!