Re: the pound sign

Subject: Re: the pound sign
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 08:16:57 MST

Tommy Trussell wrote-->
> I believe "octothorpe" is the symbol on a telephone dial that looks similar
> to an asterisk (though it usually has a different number of points). I
> learned the term in graduate school, but cannot immediately find a print
> source to confirm the spelling and usage.

Yes, "octothorpe" or "octathorpe" (I'm not sure of the correct
spelling) does come from the world of telephony, but it is
another name for the pound sign, not the star, on the telephone.

> The pound sign is also called the number sign, and the difference is the
> placement. For example: #1 = "number one" and 3# = "three pounds"

I have most often heard it referred to as either a number sign
or a pound sign, equally. The most common use of it, by far, in
the US is as a number sign.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=