Re: the pound sign (#)

Subject: Re: the pound sign (#)
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 11:29:57 -0600

I was born and raised here in the Southwest USA. Regarding the (#) sign,
I have heard it called the pound sign when used to designate weight, not
money, as in 25#. Note that the # follows the number in this usage. It
is used as a substitute for the word number when it precedes a numeral as
in #3 can. Until relatively recently, I had not heard it called a hash
mark--and have no idea where the term originated. Does anyone know?
(BTW, my Webster's New World Dictionary lists this symbol with the
definitions agreeing with what I grew up hearing--either "pound" or
"number" depending upon placement in relation to the number it accompanies.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu