Re: lexocographical

Subject: Re: lexocographical
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:09:18 PST

Mark L. Levinson wrote:

> > The word "lexicographical" is sometimes used as an alternative
> > to "alphabetical" when more than the alphabet is involved. For
> > example, when terms can begin with numerals.

Maybe the correct word that should have been used (instead of
"lexicographical") is "abecedarian." Of course, had someone actually
used that word in a user's doc, the user would have run screaming
for the nearest dictionary!

This whole thing simply simply points out one major thing (actually,
it's sorta like a smack upside the head -- you can't miss it!): Do
not, absolutely, positively, never, ever, use a word (or words) that
your "average" user will not understand. In fact, sometimes it even
makes sense to write to the lowest common denominator. Using large,
uncommon, multisyllabic words will simply alienate a user (although
it does provide lots of fodder for discussion with the

...sue "who dated this really hunky hunky guy for a while and then
one day while watching A&E's An Evening At The Improv, he turned to
me and mentioned that he didn't know what the word 'tumultuous' (as
in tumultuous applause) meant and needless to say, I pretty much quit
dating him right after that!!"