Re: TOC in MS Word???

Subject: Re: TOC in MS Word???
From: "H. Chou" <hchou -at- ALS -dot- AMERITECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 21:43:42 GMT

techwriter -at- aol -dot- com (TechWriter) wrote:
>>Help! I'm trying to put together a table of contents using field
>insertions
>>with levels (using the "insert field" command) and when I try to create
>the
>>table, I get a message saying
>>
>>Error! No table of contents entries found.
>>
>>Does anyone know what gives? Or can you direct me to the RIGHT list where
>>can ask this question?

>Although It can be done that way, it's sure not the easiest way in Word.
>Of course, I'm assuming you're using Word 6. If so, instead of fields, use
>the Insert Index and Tables... command to create your TOC and select what
>styles you want to use as entries.

>But if you *must* use fields, I assume you're using the {TC} and {TOC}
>fields? Rather than trying to explain those esoterica, I'd rather refer
>you to the excellent book "Hacker's Guide to Word for Windows," by Woody
>Leonhard, Vincent Chen, and Scott Krueger, which contains a clearly
>writtten explanation of how to use these and other fields.

>But I wouldn't recommend the field method in the first place.

but when you insert a toc using your method, you are inserting a field, unless
you know of some way to make a toc without inserting a field, or perhaps even
"unlinking" the toc entries from the headings in teh document.

i insert my toc using the Insert-Index and Tables menu command, and am able to
update the toc at will by selecting it and pressing F9. this assumes that an
updatable, dynamic field has been inserted. if you remove one of the headings
from the document without also removing it from the table of contents as well,
you get an Error message.

or am i just misunderstanding this entire thread?
H. Chou hchou -at- als -dot- ameritech -dot- com
Technical Writer Ameritech Library Services