Re: Grant Writers?

Subject: Re: Grant Writers?
From: Sally J Meckling <salmeck+ -at- PITT -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 20:08:53 -0400

There are very separate, very contentious schools of thought on grant
writing fees. There are some folks who take a percentage of any grant
written and they do so on a contingency basis. In pricing the job thusly,
they figure that the percentage earned on high paying grants outweighs
the losses of grants not rewarded.

Personally, I find this to be unfair. I have been involved in grants
that reach well into six figures and don't feel that I deserve %20 of
that money for my time. I price jobs the more traditional way, by the
hour. I have a colleague who charges a straight $100 per hour for grant
writing, while his other writing fees are from $60-70. He claims that
time in research well-justifies an increase in price. I charge my usual
hourly rate of $50-60 hour depending on the client. If I have extra
research to do, then I bill accordingly.

I haven't heard of the software, but I'd sure like to know more about it.

Sally
salmeck -at- pitt -dot- edu