Re: PET PEEVE #3148

Subject: Re: PET PEEVE #3148
From: Debbie Molinaro <MOLINARO_DEBBIE -at- NY -dot- MRC -dot- SONY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 01:46:00 -0400

>>You tempt me. I won't claim to have full mastery, but I learned Frame
well enough to be functional in a week or two. And my mastery of
PageMaker 4 was the key to being able to do it. I didn't know all the
Frame terms for the tools I wanted to use, but because I knew such tools
were characteristics of DTP programs, I knew enough to go looking for
something similar. This gave me a good beginning. Obviously, Frame and
Pagemaker offer different ways to accomplish many of the same tasks--and
differ in offereing tasks that are not common to both. But it was easier
to learn some of the differences when I could simply locate the
similarities and then go from there.<<

How does PageMaker accomplish the tasks of Cross Referencees,
pagination, book and TOC generation, anchored frames, etc.?
Frankly, If I thought PageMaker could accomplish any of those tasks,
I'd dump FrameMaker. And I suspect Adobe wouldn't have gone through
all the trouble to buy something they already had.

I still maintain that full mastery is required when the docs group
is working together on a project.

As I said, the ability to write is a given. I would not consider
a person for a TW job if they couldn't write. FrameMaker is a
requirement.

btw/ I also expect my tech writers to know how to swap and
configure their own video cards.

Debbie
molinaro_debbie -at- ny -dot- mrc -dot- sony -dot- com