Re: Capitalization Question

Subject: Re: Capitalization Question
From: Bonnie Nestor <mnj -at- ORNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 13:15:49 -0400

In article <9508031613 -dot- A09305 -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com>, Kelly Burhenne
<burhennk -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com> wrote:

> I've run into a question regarding capitalization that I can't seem to
> find a definitive answer to.
[snip]

The definitive answer is: IT DEPENDS. Typographic conventions vary wildly
from journal to journal (and I assume from publisher to publisher). Your
preference is probably as valid as anyone else's, as long as you're not
working under the constraints of a particular style guide. If you are,
then someone else has made a decision, saving you the trouble.

Or, as I used to mutter when trying to remember whether to abbreviate
"Figures" as "Figs." (with the period, for American Institute of Physics
journals) or "Figs" (no period, for _Nuclear Fusion_), "A foolish
consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Bonnie Nestor
mnj -at- ornl -dot- gov
DISCLAIMER: I work at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, for Lockheed Martin Energy
Systems, which is under contract to the U.S. Department of Energy -- but I
don't speak for any of them, and they return the favor.