setting off field names

Subject: setting off field names
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 23:57:05 -0600

> Glenn Crumpley writes:

> >>We're updating our style guide and trying to arrive at a uniform convention
> for indicating field names. We currently use quotes, but agree that it adds
> too much noise to the page. We are experimenting with bold, but many of us
> feel it overwhelms the surrounding text. I'd be interested in hearing what
> conventions are currently in use by others.<<

I would give some thought to a font change for the field names. It would
be especially useful if you set the field names in a font close to the
screen font used by your application. Or simply put them in a san serif
font if the rest of your text is in a serif one. This is a similar
approach to making them bold, but you may find it less overwhelming on
the page.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.