Just say no to "it"

Subject: Just say no to "it"
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 12:51:28 EST

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL> said:

> Why don't we convene the equivalent of a constitutional convention and
create a word for a gender-free singular personal pronoun and be done with
it? I nominate the STC to lead the effort and at the same time settle all
the other vexing problems that we quibble over.

Fine -- but will people abide by it? Common usage is what determines
these matters, as many techwhirlers have preceded me in saying. So far,
seems to me our best bet is sentence construction that avoids the issue
if possible, and it's nearly always possible.

> "He or she" is barely tolerable and tedious. "He/she" and "s/he" are
> abominable. "It" seems silly, but we say "it" when referring to a baby.

We do not _all_ say "it" when referring to a baby, even one whose sex has
not yet been discovered. I feel that calling a baby "it" has a
dehumanizing effect, just as it does on an adult. A thing is an "it," and
maybe an animal is, too -- but not a person of any age.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
BNA and I have a deal -- we don't speak for each other.