HELP! CMU or RPI

Subject: HELP! CMU or RPI
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 22:36:32 -0700

I was born in Pittsburgh, and I attended RPI for four years as an
undergraduate. I've never been to CMU (or Carnegie Tech, as it was in my
day), but I have been in both Pittsburgh and Troy NY in the last couple of
years.

Upstate NY is extremely beautiful, and the RPI campus still has an idyllic
quality.

Pittsburgh is no longer anything like the smoke-belching industrial center I
was born into just a couple of months before Dec 7th 1941, the infamous day
that launched us into WWII. On the other hand, it's nothing like idyllic either.

RPI did not have a technical communication program when I was there
(1959-63), and I suspect Carnegie Tech didn't either. At the time RPI was a
more prestigious engineering school, but I think CMU is a little grander
nowadays. I doubt that either is technically much better than the other.

Does that help? ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro