Re: Fluffy Writers

Subject: Re: Fluffy Writers
From: Anne Casey <anne -at- ERM -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 15:15:13 +0800

I don't think I'm a 'fluffy writer' either - for a start, I generally
rip stuff out of whatever I get from the programmers; technical staff
aren't always brief and to the point (or logical, which makes me
worry about their code).

I have documented some highly technical software, for a wide variety
of audiences - programmers are just another audience. It's my
job to learn about my audience; their information needs, their
business practices, whatever I need to know to write appropriate
documentation.

I currently work for a software company with a product that processes
remote sensed data. My predecessor was a grad student with a heavy
science background. She didn't understand the software, or how to
write useful documentation. I have one of those dreaded BAs, but
I know how to learn and how to write. They were so impressed they
offered me a permanent job; I doubt they'll require a science
background again.

There is only one type of writer. One who can deliver the goods.

Anne Casey
Earth Resource Mapping