VT100

Subject: VT100
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 15:22:32 PDT

Suggests Jim Curran:
_____________________
I've understood VT to stand for virtual terminal.
_____________________

Answers Dick:

I doubt that interpretation. Back in the years of the VT100
introduction, "virtual" applied only to Big Blue's memory.

Plus there is nothing "virtual" about a VT100. Solid electronics,
rugged case, heavy power cord. At least back then.

Plus how can a terminal be virtual? eh? Whatcha gonna type on?

One might consider terminals that emulate the VT100 to be
"virtual" VT100s, though.

Again, as I stated, a marketing model name often has no
genuine meaning, and I suspect DEC never truly designated VT
to mean anything specific. Customers fill in their own
virtual meanings. Car Model letters are a good example.

Regards,

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior Tech Writer bravely waving the

AT&T GIS flag, indeed draping himself with it, typing to
you from foggy

El Segundo, CA Where there is frequent fusion and confusion of
"fog" and "smog", much to the consternation of
the local Chamber of Commerce.