capitalization

Subject: capitalization
From: James Perkins <perkins -at- TELE -dot- NOKIA -dot- FI>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 09:22:11 +0300

It is interesting to note that many other European languages do not
capitalize seasons or days of the week or even month names. They don't
even use capitals for names of languages (although they do for names of
countries). Two good examples are Finnish and Swedish.

Finnish Swedish English
---------- --------- -----------
maanantai mandag Monday
kesakuu juni June
talvi vinter winter
suomea finska Finnish
Ruotsi Sverige Sweden

However, German capitalizes all nouns. So who knows what is the origin
of these rules? Just an observation.

An associated question: Does anybody on this group do technical writing
in languages other than English? I think I have noticed it a couple of
times. While English is the predominant language in business, science, and
even politics these days, it would be interesting to hear some comments from
people who also work with other languages. I know we have at least one
writer who regularly uses German...

--James

James Perkins Phone: +358 0 5112 3648
Nokia Telecommunications Fax: +358 0 5112 3876
P.O. Box 33 Email: perkins -at- tele -dot- nokia -dot- fi
02601 Espoo FINLAND Internal: Hiomo 5/4