Re: Fall or fall??

Subject: Re: Fall or fall??
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 11:27:00 PDT

Bev wrote :
>The New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage,
>page 231, says

>"Names of seasons--spring, summer, winter, autumn (or fall)--are
>not capitalized unless used as a personification. The scientific
>terms denoting times of the year, such as winter solstice and
>vernal equinox, also are not capitalized."

(Hi, Bev!)
However, I think the original post mentioned something about "fall being our
busiest season," and I thought, not consulting a source, that such a season
*may* in some fields, be considered an event, such as in the rule,
"Capitalize words that designate specific periods of time."
Thus: In the word of fashion, the Fall Season ushers in clothes reflecting
the colors of autumn."

Just a thought....

Rosie A. Wilcox (I'm baaack!)
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that none of it has attempted to contact us." Calvin & Hobbs, Nov. 9, 1994