PC Purchase: Recommendations?

Subject: PC Purchase: Recommendations?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 23:40:00 LCL

Hello,

before I add my two cents worth just a remainder: This thread might be near to
off-topic. At least I wish to end it here.

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Matt Ion an All am 31.07.95

MI> >SCSI may be the way to go--that's what I have in fact--but you
MI> will also
MI> >find that compatible upgrades in hardware (hard drives, etc.)
MI> are also
MI> >more expensive so do plan for it if you go that way.

MI> They really aren't THAT much more expensive, and if you're
MI> outfitting a
MI> high-end, high-productivity machine, the added performance
MI> should more than make up for the added cost.

If you definetely will not have more than two hard drives, the newer IDE
implementation should fit quite nicely: An advanced E-IDE controller has two
connectors for up to four drives. But the technology in this area is changing
quite rapidly so you might really be better off with SCSI.

MI> Besides, think about your precious bus-slot real-estate.

This is another real argument for SCSI. But there are combi-controllers like 2
IDE busses, floppy controller, two buffered serial interfaces and a
bidirectional parallel interface.

MI> an EIDE controller for more than two HDs,
MI> proprietary controller(s) for the
MI> CD-ROM(s)

You should be able to connect two IDE drives and two other drives
(CD-ROM/streamer) to a single controller card.

MI> (let's face it, QIC-40/80 is NOT something you
MI> want to saddle a high-performance machine with, without the
MI> drive at least having its own buffering controller)

Get a floppy controller for 2.88 MB floppies. I do not advocate that floppy
format (who has ever seen any), but this doubles the speed of your QIC 80
streamer.

MI> If you have a VLB machine and want VLB performance all around
MI> in this case,
MI> you're SOL, as the most VESA expansion slots I've seen in one
MI> machine was four
MI> (and I've only seen that once - most only have two or three),

Vesa local bus is defined for four slots only. Even PCI is. So the newest
Power Macs have two PCI busses, with separate interfaces.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander