Re: SOFTWARE DOCS: Is the reference sect

Subject: Re: SOFTWARE DOCS: Is the reference sect
From: "Starr, Mike" <Mike -dot- Starr -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 08:43:15 -0600

Peggy Thompson asked:

<< I need your thoughtful replies! With the proliferation of point
and click systems, is the old distinction between tutorial
material and reference material passe?>>

I feel that in order to best serve the end user, we must continue to provide
both a task-oriented and a reference section in our documentation.
Documenting each item on each menu doesn't describe how to actually use the
software. You may need to use the Widgets/Framistat menu item, then the
Overblatt/knutenvalve menu item followed by the Schnable/whoosis menu item
in order to do a basic task.

As an aside, I try to abuse the programmers whenever I find that they've
created a really stupid user interface, but there are many considerations
other than the rantings of an aging technical writer that influence software
design.