Forum 95: Checklist Online-documetation

Subject: Forum 95: Checklist Online-documetation
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 00:10:00 LCL

Hello,

The last part of my checklist was quite short, because I wanted to post this
part as a whole.

To repeat it: This checklist is intended to define how you, as a writer of
online documentation, will interact with the programmers of your project.

Terminology
-----------

E) Discuss the terminology to use in the message boxes, windows
and so on. Decide on a way to expand that vocabulary during the
project in a controlled way. Otherwise, different programming
teams will define different expressions for the same thing.
Remember, that many operating systems (e.g. OS/2 or Windows
ninety-something) allow full-text search all across the help
system.

F) Discuss terminology in general. E.g., Microsoft offers
terminology (and even standard translations) for free.

Sources of Microsoft Standard Terminology

* Microsoft Developers' Network Forum on CompuServe (GO MSDN) in the
New Uploads library (library 1).

* URL ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/glossary. Beta
Windows 95 terminology is also available.

* My BBS at 49-911-591530.

G) Define the terminology specific to your project. Remember
that full-text search can work only if you define terminology
thoroughly. Languages like German are especially prone to
producing variant spellings: "Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitan" is
long even by German standards, but would you like to write "Donau-
Dampfschiffahrtskapitan" or "Donaudampfschiffahrts-Kapitan"? Write
down lists and find ways to enforce the usage, e.g., through word
lists used in spelling checkers.

Any additions or clarifications for this?

If you wish to receive the check list in its present unfinished form, send an
empty message to onlchecklist -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org

If you wish to join the Forum 95 mailing list, sent a message to
listserv -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org -dot- the message should contain one or more of the
following lines (there have been several requests for frum95-ONE, it's L like
"list"):

subscribe frum95-l
faq frum95-l
unsubscribe frum95-l