Re: Setting up unconventional publication in Pagemaker 4.0 HELP

Subject: Re: Setting up unconventional publication in Pagemaker 4.0 HELP
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 11:45:04 -0600

I don't know if I can suggest something that will solve all your
problems, but for starters:

> Hi: I'm not sure if what I want to do can even be done in pagemaker 4.0 but
here
> goes:
> I want to set up a publication (small booklet) using 8.5 x 11 landscape folded
> in
> half. I can't find instructions in my manual pertaining to what I need. I
would
> like to take advantage of auto page numbering and text flow, TOC and index
> generation but as you can understand, if I do it unconventionally (like 1 page
> at
> a time) it will be a nightmare with the loss of all features.

To set this up, I would designated in the Page Layout box that I wanted
my pages set up as 5-1/2" x 8", double-sided, with appropriate margins.
I would then use the master pages to set up my page numbering, and the
Styles function to set up my headings for the TOC. Set your index up in
Story view and go for it.

> I have been asked to do it in this format: the sheets are folded in half and
the
> halves have two columns. The folded sheets would then fit into each other and
be
> stapled in the crease. I am looking at having chapters, a TOC, an index,
> graphics,

If you are going to work with folded sheets, I would suggest that you
make two copies of the file. Generate your TOC and index from the one
set up as above. Unless you have available the tools to generate a
booklet (which would automatically reorder the pages to allow for the
type of setup you are looking at, you may have to work out a mock-up to
determine the exact order you need to actually print your pages. Then
manually place them in the order you need. Save as a second version of
your file. This would negate the auto page numbering, but you can copy
and print the TOC and Index where you need them, saving that chore at least.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu