Re: Colon, semicolon, comma, or period?

Subject: Re: Colon, semicolon, comma, or period?
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 08:12:17 MDT

An original post requested opinions about punctuation in the example below:

: > Consider the following-----> At ABC company, we make products with the
: > consumer in mind; products that aid in productivity and quality.
: >
: > Notice the semicolon. Would you change it to a comma, period, colon, or
: > leave the semicolon.

Dan Fergus responded,

>A comma would be grammatically <sp?> correct.
>A period, colon, or semicolon would not be.
>A dash would also be correct and would also give a stronger sense of
>separation <that silent little pause that you hear between the two
>'products' phrases> than a comma would.

To a vote for the colon, Dan wrote,

>I disagree. A colon generally introduces a list enumerated in the sentence.

One the first response, I agree completely. On the second, I agree that a
colon is not acceptable here. However, I disagree that colons are only
generally used to set off a list enumerated in a sentence. Colons are also
used to introduce formally quoted material and following introductory remarks.

EXAMPLES (from CMoS)

We quote from the address: "It now seems appropriate..."

Ladies and Gentleman: ...

Colons can also be used between two independent clauses to show a distinct
relationship between the two (when the second clause is an illustration or
amplification and also, though CMoS doesn't mention this, when the second
clause makes a generalization in the first clause more specific). A colon
could not be used to replace the semicolon for the same reason that the
semicolon is incorrect in the first place: the second clause is not
independent.

Note the last sentence in the previous paragraph. The second independent
clause is an amplification of the first clause. CMoS indicates that, in
contemporary usage, a semicolon is often used instead of a colon. I tend to
stick with this convention unless I really want to underscore the relationship
between to clauses. A semicolon connects two ideas. A colon dictates a
specific relationship between two ideas. For more information on colon usage,
refer to CMoS (14th ed., 5.97 or p. 182).

One more point--a colon should be used to set off a serial or enumerated
list if the preceding element is an independent clause or if each of the
following elements is an independent clause. I find, however, that the latter
condition tends to produce lengthy, awkward constructions.

All of this talk about colons makes me want to get up and take a short walk.
;-)

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce