Re: Semiconductor types only: What is "Pinnacles" ?

Subject: Re: Semiconductor types only: What is "Pinnacles" ?
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- FRAME -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 11:35:59 CDT

At 09:24 7/26/95 EDT, you wrote:
>Form: Memo
>Text: (9 lines follow)
>I'm trying to find out about "Pinnacles", a term that I heard recently.
>Apparently it is a proposed (or adopted??) standard for on-line
>documentation. My understanding is that it is meant for semiconductor
>manufacturers. Unfortunately that's all I know about this. I would
>appreciate if anyone has some more information on Pinnacles or could direct
>me to some other sources.

Pinnacles is a consortium between Intel and Philips Semiconductor (and other
semiconductor firms) have developed a Pinnacles Component Information
Standard (PCIS). It was formed to create a better standardized method of
data creation, management and interchange. The repository of data
information will be based on an SGML standard, which can be output online in
any format. In this way the semiconductor manufacturers can exchange data
information about a component. It sounds like it is similar to ATA-100 and
other industry-specific standards so that firms that do business together
can access information from each other.

This, to me, is not the same as an online standard because (1) it is
specific to the semiconductor industry and (2) it is an SGML-based standard,
which to me encompasses more than just "online."

I hope others have more information (maybe someone from Intel or Philips?).

Betsy Maaks
The opinions expressed here are my own, no one else had anything to do with
them.

Betsy Maaks + Frame Technology Corp.
312-266-3208 + Advanced Products
bmaaks -at- frame -dot- com + 441 W. Huron Street
+ Chicago, IL 60610